Good Quotes

"I think Eskimos are smug."

Chuck (Anger Management)

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sun Protection Meets True Fashion

All right people. Prepare yourself for some frightening information. Just weeks into my relocation to Louisiana, I am driving my husband back to campus after lunch (we are having BAD luck with cars lately) and Matthew and I see this almost normal looking college student on a bike with a VISOR COVERING HER FACE! We are speechless. A visor (yuck!). Covering her face. Umm-what!? Why? Why? Why?! A severe sun allergy? A recent eye surgery? An abnormal and challenging pledge assignment for a no-good sorority? [Calm down sorority women, don’t we all agree that this is not considered normal?] A dare? A social experiment? I cannot imagine doing this for any social gain, it must be medically related. Is she a sickly student and I am guilty of making fun of the ill? I don’t know. I am not sure I need to know. This is not flattering attire! So, I googled it. Um, maybe “face visor”? Good guess, because I found this website: http://www.facevisor.com/

and this photo:


Crazy that no one has used that domain name yet. . . . Anyway, the website describes in detail the face visor’s ability to protect you from the harmful UV rays of the sun. I mean sure, Oakley makes these claims also, but would you actually wear a pair of Oakley sunglasses when you could look like this? My brother-in-law has spent some money on "fashionable" shades in the past. When will he discover that true sun protection and fashion only has to cost him $14.95? Beat that Ray-Ban lovers! The sincere website, (don’t forget I have actually seen someone wearing one of these) shows photos of people doing very ordinary tasks with their very functional face visors.








In case you are not sold on the potential health benefits of the product alone, don’t forget the following:
(1) It has an adjustable tilt shield so you can cover all or just part of your face,(2) It fits over eyeglasses, (3) you can wear it while participating in a variety of outdoor sports, (4) It comes in either the regular or full shield version, (5) it is affordable ($14.95 or $18.95) and (6) it comes in a variety of colors (purple is my preference). I will point out that I am disappointed in the young lady I saw the other day, because she clearly did not opt for the full shield version (cheapskate) and chose the quite drab color of beige for such an exciting accessory. Get a clue honey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to split a gut!! Sarah you have ALWAYS been such an interesting writer with just the perfect touch of humor. I actually still have the first "essay" you wrote in college. The title is something like "Hurry, Get One While They Last". Anyway keep up this site, I need to laugh more. CB

The Texas VicHorns said...

OH. WOW.

This is the best thing I've seen since the modest swimwear website.

I love the photo of the guy reading a book whilst he is receiving 100% UV protection.

you have found a gold mine

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

Sarah, let me be the first to testify to the wonders of the face visor. I have one in every color, so I'm always coordinated. and never sunburned

LT (and Max) said...

i know what i'm getting all of my family and friends (male and female) for christmas! i wonder if they will work out a deal for me, like...buy 10 get 1 free. (??)

gold

Unknown said...

you say it comes in red? PERFECT. I can order one to match my modest swimsuit (curtesy of Claire). No sunburns AND I will be modestly dressed for a swim.

golden, I tell you.

Sarah Mae said...

How true that the face visor will be a hit with modest swimwear owners! Brilliant! Thanks Heather!