Good Quotes

"I think Eskimos are smug."

Chuck (Anger Management)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!

I was too tired to post about it yesterday, but my weekend was faaaaabulous! The Professor and I went to New Orleans and stayed at a super fancy hotel in the French Quarter. I can get really enthusiastic about a trip to a city like New Orleans and the promise of very fine accomodations. And very fine it was. We arrived late on Friday, so just grabbed a quick bite at a local seafood place. Hmmm.....just so-so. On Saturday, some family was coming through town so we met for coffee and beignets at, yep-Cafe Du Monde.




Good thing we chose to walk to each destination because stuffing my face with those lovely dough lovelies was certainly foreshadowing for the rest of the weekend.



After our breakfast, we strolled around the French Market and ate at the French Market Cafe. I had the shrimp po-boy and Matthew had the shrimp and oyster po-boy. Pretty good, but nothing to rush back to on our next visit.

Then we started our stroll toward the Aquarium, but got sidetracked by some street dancers. Just like a tourist, we stopped and were mesmerized by them. Who doesn't like to watch some breakdancing (or streetdancing or whatever it's called this decade)? Quite impressive as I was complaining of having to walk sooooo faaaaaaar.

What? How?

Somebody give him some cash!

So, we made it to the Aquarium and the IMAX theatre. Both were great. Haagen Daz vanilla milkshake-yum. Wandered around the shops at Canal Place and loved every minute of it. More walking because our fat butts really needed to.

Right as we get to our hotel we met a bridal party coming out into the street. A brass band is playing, the bride and groom raise their parasols as they climb into the horse and carriage.



They are handed champagne, and ride away in their carriage as their guests wave white napkins in the air.

The only piece of the puzzle that didn't quite fit to me was--well, the woman on stilts in a circus outfit. I don't know. A family friend who came straight from work, or whatever? Or maybe this is another tradition I know nothing about.

So, oh yeah-frozen coffees and a croissant just before we catch the Italian-American Parade just outside our hotel. My grandfather would be so proud! We watched for an hour then headed inside to take a rest.

Saturday night we had dinner at The Redfish Grill on Bourbon Street. Our friends, Chuck and Michelle Beauchamp, suggested this place and we loved it. We did stroll down Bourbon Street, pretty unimpressive though. Let's see, what is the phrase I am looking for. . . kinda gross. Too many people, most of them trying way too hard to do something.... I don't even know what. Anyway, definitely stop at The Redfish Grill when you're in town. So, bread, appetizer, salad, entree-oh my! Fat butts walk back to hotel again and fall asleep in no time.

We can thank Mr. and Mrs. Yeargain for suggesting Mr. B's Bistro for the jazz brunch on Sunday morning. Divine. Shrimp and grits for Matthew, Eggs Florentine for me, bread of course and then bread pudding. Not usually a fan of the bread pudding, but. . . .divine. This was the last meal in the city. There was no room for ANYMORE food.

We took one last walk to the Riverwalk mall. Eh. Doesn't compare to the shopping the day before.

The trip was wonderful and it was all my cute husband's idea.


3 comments:

The Texas VicHorns said...

What a BLAST!!! That sounds absolutely perfect! I'm so glad you had such a fun birthday weekend! Kudos to Matt. Tell him to call Vic before my bday. :)

Love you!

Katie M said...

Great Birthday. Looks like you had fun.

Mine was on the 13th. As you will soon understand (praise God), I just asked Todd to keep the 3 boys (4 years, 2 years (as of today 4/4), 7 months, while I went to bed early!! That[sleep] was a wonderful present - LOL!

I am glad you had such a good birthday.

Amy Jordon said...

Hey, Sarah, I know this is old but it looks like you had a great birthday. Those french doughnuts are out of this world! What day in March is it? Mine is the 8th!